Date: 7 Sep 2021
Event Type: Webinar
In this 90-minute session, OECD Director for Education and Skills, Andreas Schleicher will share information about the scope, approach, and findings of the new OECD report “Beyond academic learning – first results from the Survey on Social and Emotional Skills”, followed by a panel discussion with an international panel of education leaders and SES experts.
Three years in the making, this first-ever international comparative survey into social and emotional skills identifies and assesses the conditions and practices that foster or hinder the development of social and emotional skills for 10- and 15-year-old students.
Information was collected from a survey of parents, teachers, educators, and students from 9 different countries around the world.
Broad Insights from the report include:
- How does the distribution of social and emotional skills vary according to gender, immigration background, or socio-economic status across participating cities? And how can policy help reduce skill disparities across disadvantaged groups of students based on the evidence?
- Which social and emotional skills influence students’ learning and social outcomes, such as academic achievement, conduct, health, life satisfaction, and overall well-being?
- What are the similarities and differences between social and emotional skills and various life outcomes across 10- and 15-year-old students?
- What factors promote or hinder the development of social and emotional skills in students’ home, school, and peer environments?
The session will be introduced by Ulrik Vestergaard Knudsen, OECD Deputy Secretary-General, followed by Paige Johnson, VP Education Marketing, Microsoft, followed by a presentation by OECD Director for Education and Skills, Andreas Schleicher, and a panel discussion with global education experts.
The panel will be moderated by Dominic Regester, program director at Salzburg Global Seminar, and panelists include:
- James Heckman, Nobel Prize-winning American economist
- Angela Duckworth, Founder and CEO of Character Lab
- Vicky Colbert, Columbian politician and former Vice-Minister of Education
- Andreas Schleicher, Director for Education and Skills, OECD
For more information on the OECD social and emotional skills, please visit the website: