UKFIET would like to thank the individuals who contribute to the bursary fund directly or via a voluntary conference fee levy. Through this we are able to make available a number of bursaries to assist delegate participation.
Grants will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Your abstract has been accepted and you are asked to make a presentation in the conference programme.
- Hardship: the applicant is unable to attend the conference without financial support;
- Contribution to the conference: the applicant has had an abstract accepted for presentation as a paper in the conference programme.
- Participation in the conference will clearly contribute to the applicant’s professional development.
- If you have received an UKFIET bursary before, you are not eligible to apply.
Application is now closed
Applicants based in the UK may apply for conference fee and accommodation.
Applicants based outside the UK may apply for conference fee, accommodation and travel.
(in both cases accommodation will be dinner, bed and breakfast at New College)
Applicants should submit the following:
- The ID number of your abstract submission – to allow as much time as possible for applicants to apply for additional funding and UK entry visas application is permitted before decisions are made. Only those with abstracts that have been accepted for presentation will be considered.
- A personal statement providing evidence of the above criteria [Maximum 300 words];
- A letter of support from their institution or, in the case of research students, from their academic supervisor;
- A short CV (Max 3 pages) including:
(a) personal background information [titles, names, date of birth, gender, nationality, degrees, occupation, institutional, status, functions and postal and e-mail addresses];
(b) For university teachers and researchers: full references of recent publications (no more than 5);
(c) For research students: a summary of their doctoral research and progress to date [Maximum 300 words];
(d) For members of other organisations: a description of their organisation and key activities in progress or recently undertaken [Maximum 300 words].
- A paragraph explaining the assistance required [Maximum 150 words]. If you are requesting assistance with travel, indicate the cheapest quotation you have been able to obtain for return travel to Oxford and the itinerary planned. Any offer of matched funding should also be described and a copy of the relevant documentation submitted with your application.
- If you have applied for a BAICE scholarship as well please indicate this.
Inevitably, demand for bursaries will far exceed supply. Please apply only if you meet the criteria stated and even applicants who meet all the criteria may well be disappointed. UKFIET reserves the right to award the amount of funding requested, a proportion of the amount requested, or make no award. UKFIET is unlikely to support more than one applicant from the same institution.
Note too that bursary payments will only be made to refund travel expenditures once bursary holders have reached Oxford; applicants must arrange to meet their own expenses in the first instance.
Recipients of a bursary award will be expected in addition to presenting their paper to produce a blog or article relating to their paper or the conference for publication on the UKFIET website and to attend dinner on the evening of 18th September as our guest. Our Engagement Fellow will provide further information regarding the blog/article following awards being made.
We aim to confirm our decision to applicants around the same time that decisions on abstracts are announced which will be mid -May.
Download this information pdf file.